What is Code Enforcement?
Code Enforcement is responsible for the enforcement of City codes relating to bandit signs, abandoned and junked vehicles, substandard structures, weeds, brush, rubbish and unsanitary matter. One of the main goals of Code Enforcement is to bring to the attention of residential and business owners any existing code violation which could have a negative impact on their community. Many such code violations are referred to as "public nuisances." Through voluntary compliance, cooperation, and a spirit of personal responsibility for the well-being of our community, conditions which create code violations can be eliminated and in turn, making the City of Oak Ridge North an even better place to live.
General Outline of Case Progression
Case progression can vary depending upon the nature of the violation or a number of variables.
- A complaint is received by the Building Department. (File a Complaint)
- An inspection is performed to verify that a violation exists on the property.
- The property owner is then notified that a violation(s) exists and is given a reasonable period of time in which to correct the violation(s).
- A follow-up inspection is performed to verify that the violation(s) has been corrected.
- If compliance cannot be achieved through normal channels an order is issued that the property come into compliance within a specified period of time or a fine will commence for each day the property remains in violation.
- If compliance is not achieved after the time given by the Code Enforcement Officer, a fine will be assessed as a lien against all properties owned by the individual in violation and the fine will continue until compliance is achieved or until the violation is abated by the City.
Ordinances Related to Code Enforcement
Chapter 15 Code of Ordinances, Substandard Structures/Property Maintenance Code
Chapter 34 Code of Ordinances, Environment
Sr. Permit Technician
Ph: (281) 292-4648 ext. 301
Fx: (281) 367-7729
27424 Robinson Rd.
Oak Ridge North, TX 77385